Welcome to LINZ on RECOLLECT
IMPORTANT! Please be patient while searching our over 700,000 records, it may take some time.
These Field Book images are the result of a digitisation project by Land Information New Zealand in 2017-2018. The books are for the North Island and up to 1971.
The Recollect image management system is an interim step used to get the results of the digitisation project widely available until we can link the images through Landonline. Field books are multi-page items so it is a complex process and we need to ensure our systems are robust and reliable. We are making the images available like this to allow people to search and use them immediately, and will transition to Landonline once our broader digital solution is operational.
- Books are digitised in reading order, going left-to-right from a designated front cover.
- Images are individually numbered in sequential order – but these are the images not the page numbers.
- Images show “front cover” and “back cover”.
- All pages with any writing on them are digitised, while blank pages are skipped over with a note saying “Blank pages(s)”.
- Any fold-outs in field book pockets are at the end, after the “back cover”.
- Any plans or items attached inside the pages are folded out and done as an individual image.
Viewing and downloading
- Images are lower-grade copies, to allow for rapid searching.
- The "good" image is visible if you click the "zoom to 100%" button. This is slower to load.
- If you download images you will also get the "good" version which is sized at around 10MB. To download a single image, click the download icon in the image tools to the left of the image.
- If you wish to download a lot of images (for example a whole Field Book), add each image you would like to the shopping basket. For each item, go to that item, click "add to shopping basket". When you have finished adding all your images, go to My Basket to review your list before submitting your order. You will be emailed a copy of your order. Once your order has been approved, you will receive a link to download your items. The link will be live for 1 week.
The books are arranged and named by sequence being;
|NA||North Auckland Land District|
|SA||South Auckland Land District|
|AK-Green||a separate group of Auckland books|
|GS-AK||Gisborne-Auckland (for land split between the two districts)|
|GS||Gisborne Land District|
|HB||Hawkes Bay Land District (most pre-1931 books were destroyed when the Lands and Survey Office burnt down after the Napier Earthquake)|
|NAP||A sequence of mainly pre-1931 books from surveying firms Saxby and Rochfort that survived the Napier Earthquake.|
|TN||Taranaki Land District|
|WN||Wellington Land District|
|ANT||Antarctica Land District|